12” LP : March 4th, 1959 – Barclay Studio, Paris.
Original LP issue: Barclay 84.069.
In January 1959, Lester Young was in Paris for a series of concerts at the famous Blue Note Club. He plays with Rene Urtreger on piano, Kenny Clarke on drums, Jimmy Gourley on guitar and Jamil Nasser on bass. On March the 4th, 1959, Eddie Barclay decides to record Lester at Studio Barclay, which will be his last album. This legendary recording session is poignant and moving in line with the from Coleman Hawkins ‘Sirius’ and the last recording of Billie Holiday. Lester Young is reduced but the grace and genius are still there!
Some days later, March 15, 1959, Lester succumb at the Alvin hotel, a few hours after arriving in New York. A heart attack had just one defeat all musicians nicknamed ‘Prez’, The President.
Lady Be Good:
I Can’t Get Started With You:
Lester Young (Tenor Saxophone)
René Urtreger (Piano)
Jimmy Gourley (Guitar)
Jamil Nasser (Bass)
Kenny Clarke (Drums)
- Lady Be Good 3’36
- Back Home Again In Indiana 2’48
- I Can’t Get Started With You 3’15
- I Didn’t Know What Time It Was 4’20
- Three Little Words 4’18
- Pennies From Heaven 3’21
- Tea For Two 3’31
- I Cover The Waterfront 3’49
- A. B. Blues 3’14
- There’ll never Be Another You 3’39
- Almost Like Being In Love 4’01
- Lullaby Of Birdland 3’43
- Re-mastered from the original master tapes.
- 180 gr vinyl pressed by Optimal in Germany using the Metal Mothers from Pallas.
- Facsimile reissue using the original photos on front and back by Herman Leonard.
- Double insert using an original photo by JP Leloir.
- Each record has been visually checked to prevent defects.
There are no reviews yet.